Friday, November 20, 2015

WHICH WAY IS UP? 30 x 30 Abstract Art Canvas

=====
=========
============
=================
=======================

Seriously... this has been one of those days when I wondered....
Which Way Is UP?????????? 

So why not just name this painting in memory of the day!!?????

Hello all.... 
Joi@RR here with a bit of abstract fun for you.  
AND ME!!!  This was just toooo fun!!!  



This was done on a 30" x 30" canvas. You definitely can't tell it in the pictures so here it is with a soda can!

And of course it's much more eye catching in person!!


It is a mixed media canvas consisting of:

Caran de'Arch Neocolor II
Golden Fiber Paste
DecoArt Paints
DecoArt Andy Skinner "Tread" Stencil
StazOn Ink
Ranger Archival Ink
Faber-Castell 101 Collection Stencils
Faber-Castell Big Brush Pens
Prima Finnabair Clear Stamp
Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz Little Labels
The Crafters Workshop - RP Quatrefoil Stencil
Donna Downey Studios - Live Inspired Stencil
My stash (no label)  - Star Stencil

Plus the huge metal heavy "square" from the barn!!!




I began by drawing the two funky grayish black lines using the Neocolor II.  Then added the Donna Downey scribbled writing stencil with DecoArt black - as seen below.





I always seem to need some bling so added silver with the Andy Skinner tread stencil. 




Next came the Tim Holtz numbers stencil with black ink.




This is where it was.... after the "first round"!!! 




Next came the stars with fiber paste. The star stencil was a no name  stencil that came in a "lot" I purchased!!




From here on... I just began adding things... so FUN!!! 



Coming Along!! 

Did you figure out how I made the rectangles?
They are just the stamp pads!!!  




Lastly came the chevron type edge but I was never sure I really liked it - almost gessoed over them. Finally added a third roll and then they seemed better.  :)




I drew the arrows in myself with a ruler!!! 




Above two rolls of chevrons - below three!!! 





The outside edges of the canvas are 1.5" and they are painted black.



Here are some close-ups!












Thanks bunches and bunches for takin' time to stop by! 
HUGS to all. j. 



~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Thankful to join the following challenge:

-----------------------------------



Not Holiday themed (as are most right now) but was fun to just play with 2 stamps and 5 stencils for abstract art! It was fun to use so many stamps and stencils and still be able to see them all when finished!  Often times on my paintings - I use them but they blend in and are harder to recognize. FUN!!!  
_________________________________________________




The first minute I saw this challenge post - it made me feel excited and inspired.  I could not wait to begin.  As for which one of the projects inspired me the most - wow - ALL of them! And I went LARGE - just as suggested.  I watched the videos in awe. And all the photos posted of abstract art were wonderful.  Perhaps Michael Lang but I also totally love the painting that was perhaps done by MaryAnn Wakely.  And of course, I always love everything that Marta does and Seth too.  So... how do I choose??  Every painting in your original challenge post was fabulous and all the posts afterwards were so inspiring too.  Thanks bunches for super inspirations. j.  

____________________________________________



Many times I use stamps and stencils in my paintings but in the end... sometimes they just don't show as stamps/stencils.  They just blend with the painting.  But this time... it was all about the stamps and stencils! It was so fun to play with them to make this abstract canvas. I couldn't seem to capture it well with my camera but it's bright, dimensional, nonsensical fun!!! j. 
==========================================
===============================
=======================
=================
========

11 comments:

experiments in paper said...

Very cool, Joi! Love, love, love the energy of this piece....and the bling, the lettering, the holiday colors....well,ok - all of it!! Extraordinary! xxx Lynn

Mona Pendleton said...

What a fantastic abstract work of art Joi! Love all the chevrons and textures!

Pamellia said...

What an absolutely fabulous abstract piece Joi! I'm so glad you included the size because I wouldn't have realized how big it is, wowzers!! You have used so many wonderful products in such creative ways, I bet you had a real hoot putting this one together! Beautiful colours, love the bright and cheery splashes, they just jump off the page! Well done! hugs :)

geezercrafter said...

Fantastic creation, so much interest. Joy to look at.

Ellie Knol said...

... beautiful creation !
Thanks for joining us in the Craft Stamper Challenge!

xxx Ellie xxx

Linda said...

Fabulous canvas ........ Thank you for joining in with the Craft Stamper Challenge .... good luck! Linda xx

Gio said...

Wow, lot of details and interesting stuff here! Thank you for joining in with the Craft Stamper Challenge:-)

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Joi, just read your nice comments on my blog, thanks, you are a Sweetie! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family, we all have so much to be thankful for. Hugs, Valerie

Words and Pictures said...

I know those days! Fantastic to see the piece building up, twisting and turning and changing direction. Very cool!
Alison x

sarascloset said...

It looks like you had a lot of fun making this one! I love how you did those colored rectangles in the corner. hugs!

TangledBlueRose said...

Love the canvas, so many wonderful shapes and amazing things to see. Love the techniques you shared, fabulous colors. Awesome fun and wonderful focus on stamps and yummy stencils! Thanks for playing with us at STAMPlorations Mixed Media Challenge!~kim