Thursday, April 9, 2015

Happy Birthday SONSHINE Gal Greeting Card

Today is my best girl friend's birthday and YES - I made her a card.

Years ago - we adopted nicknames for each other and her nickname is very prominent in this design!

My goal was to have spring colors that were vivid and elegant but with embellishments that were more delicate and happy.

The background was a gelli print that I made on my gelli plate over the holidays with acrylic paint.  I chose this print because of the sunshine yellow color for the sun and the green for the flowers.

My friend loves purple so the card needed a layer to include that color! It doesn't look at all like it did when I started - of course.  It was torn and cut into pieces.  There is no way to tell now but I used two stamps on it: Kaisercraft Numerals at the bottom and Prima Finnabair Seamstress stamp. You can see some of the numerals in the strip on the left coming from the sun - which is fun!!!  Those used to all be on the bottom of the purple!!!

Both the sentiments on the card came from Hero Arts CL 129 Anytime Messages.

The paper strips are from the purple background and from a gold gelli print. The paper strip that has the spread sunshine stamp on it was a piece from the yellow and green background after it was cut to fit the card.  I had fun slashing strips!!!

I embossed the center of the sun and some of the stripes with Vintage Champagne WOW embossing powder.

Before I added the fabric embellishments I used Lindy's glitz spritz Yellow Rose of Texas to give the entire card a sparkle - just love that look.

The flower petals came from an old wedding dress that I clipped off all the lovely lace and flowers. And believe it or not - I saved all the thread that was holding them because is was thick and rippled - so that is what I used at the bottom to represent the "foliage"!!!  The stem of one flower is a chiffon type burgundy ribbon.

The crystal pearl flourish is from Prima - Say It With Crystals Iridescent Ivory.  The sentiment has dots of Ranger Liquid Pearls in Orchid.  My friend enjoys pearls so it seems appro for her card!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to a very long suffering and loving friend whose nickname is SONSHINE!  j.













===========================
=====================
===========

I would like to submit my card to the following challenges: 

(Where I won my very first badge!!)

Click Below to see the challenge:


++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++
++++++


Click Below to see the challenge:


Embellishments: 
Prima - Say It With Crystals Iridescent Ivory
Felt and Glitter Butterfly (can't read label any more!)
Vintage Chiffon and Lace Flowers
Vintage rippled thread from removing the flowers from the dress! 
Teal colored crystal circle added to the center of one flower. 
Burgundy ribbon for the stem of one flower. 

+++++++++++++++
++++++++++
++++++


Click Below to see the challenge:

Collage is so fun for me.  Thanks for the opportunity to play along! j


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------





7 comments:

Deena Perreault said...

Wow! This is gorgeous and so heartfelt! Such a wonderful card for your dear friend. Thank you for joining us this month at A Creative Need!!

Deena Perreault said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Claudia N. said...

A fab card, Joi! I am sure your friend will treasure it!
Claudia x

Lori said...

This is such a beautiful card! I love that the flowers are from an old wedding dress and that you even saved the thread - it does make great foliage! Thanks so much for playing along with my paper strips challenge this week at Use Your Stuff!
Lori - UYSDT

Win Dinn, Artist said...

What a gorgeous card - sunshine indeed! Thanks for stopping by my blog to say hello and comment - very much appreciated!

Scrapping4funChallenges said...

Gorgeous card, your friend will love this!
Welcome on the S4fChallenges blog.
Thank you for your entry at Scrapping4funChallenges.
Rachelle DT
http://scrapping4funchallenges.blogspot.com

FiestyCrafter (Tina) said...

Beautiful and unique card! I bet your friend loved her specially made card! The embellishments are beautiful. Thanks for joining us at Scrapping4fun
Tina dt