Monday, October 31, 2016

Happy Harvest Abundance Mixed Media 28x36 Painting

HOWDY from Joi at the ranch! 
It's FALL in Texas.

Although the days are still quite warm; 
our nights are cool and lovely.

Happy days here as the hay is harvested, baby calves still need ropin' and the sunflowers continue in full bloom.

And thus we say: Not Lucky... Blessed!


This is a 28" x 36" acrylic painting on wood.

I began by drawing my idea onto the board. 
Yuk - look at that flaw in the middle of my board... 
okey dokey - waste not, want not - make it work!!! 


I began painting with DecoArt Media Yellow Shimmer Mister as well as some Orange Mister.


Over the Misters was added: 
DecoArt Media 
Diarylide Yellow, Cadmium Orange Hue, Pyrrole Orange


The fence was a process of layering several colors. 
The first: Quinacridone Burnt Orange.


And streaks of Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide.


Just filled the rope in with some Titan Buff and now all the wood was covered with paint - yeah!



Did you figure out that the DecoArt Americana Weathered Wood was going to make an appearance??? Oh yeah!!! Gotta rough up this fence line for real!!!!  Abundantly applying the clear solution to the fence... it was left to dry overnight. 


Immediately upon adding the DecoArt Media Patina Green Antiquing Cream the fencing had a rough and rugged look.



In the end, the fence and posts had a dab of color here and a dab of color there including Prussian Blue Hue, Quinacridone Gold, and Titan Buff.  



Background complete!


Time to plow the fields!!! 
I began with my noodle brush and Diarylide Yellow. 
What fun!


Already time for harvesting and I found some SUPER FINE stencils to help bale the hay!!  

DecoArt Americana Dangles Stencil for the far field. 


And how incredibly fun to use Andy Skinner's DecoArt Whirlpool Stencil for the bigger bales of hay.


After the hay harvest.... the fields needed a new look.

With Ranger Archival Ink and the Stampers Anonymous Stripes Stencil, the hay meadow was showing it's after-glow!


And the field in front was re-plowed with the Faber-Castele 101 Stencil Set and Ranger Vermilion Archival Ink. 


And the most fun of all was pulling out the DecoArt Media Gesso with The Crafters Workshop Mini Joyful Sunflower to stencil and then to paint! I did one layer of sunflowers and then went back to stencil the background flowers!



The background flowers began with Green Gold. 


And before it was all done.. dear me... these flowers are nearly rainbows!!!  I played and played and played! 

DecoArt Media: 
Cadmium Orange Hue, Yellow Green Light,
Titan Buff, Primary Yellow, Green Gold, 
Quinacridone Violet, Quinacridone Burnt Orange





Products used. 



And, of course, few close-ups too!




The DecoArt Media Gesso leaves such a yummy texture! 



 And the finished piece is of course hanging here... 
at the ranch!!! 

Thanks bunches and bunches to take time to stop by and enjoy the Fall Season with me.  Hugs to you all. j. 



~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Excited to share my art with the following challenges: 


Fall is in the air - the harvest has begun.
I found elements of nature basking under the sun! j.

-----------------------------------------------------
I went with the fall colors, a fall scene and
the harvest of hay instead of pumpkins! j.

--------------------------------------------------

Stamplorations/Artploration
Mixed Media Challenge
HAPPY HARVEST to you ALL!!! Xj.

---------------------------------------------------

Anything But Cute
Challenge 18: An Autumn Day
It's an Autumn Day Painting for you! j.

==================================
==========================
====================
==============
=======

23 comments:

Brenda Brown said...

Oh wow Joi this is one very beautiful painting. I love all the ways you have included idepth and interest and how you have incorporated colour and texture too. Your sunflowers are gorgeous, your fields are amazing and the star of the show for me is that incredible fence with its crackle and knots, it stands proudly weathered and noble as the seasons roll by. Thanks for sharing your beautiful art, it is I that feels blessed in being able to see how your ideas unfold and how you design your beautiful creations xxx

sarascloset said...

Joi, this is truly An Autumn Day is all it's glory! I always love reading about your process and how you layer your color and work with oopsies and flaws. And then to see the finished product--WOW! I love the gorgeous autumn colors, especially those of the sunflowers. Your use of stamps and stencils is so creative to represent the plowed filed, grasses and hay. And as for that fence-delicious texture and color so rich it truly looks like old fence posts weathered in the hot Texas sun. And your sentiment is PERFECT! So sad this one's not going in the shop! I would have had to snatch it up for myself! Oh, dear, I almost forgot to thank you for sharing this in our "An Autumn Day' Challenge at Anything But Cute. Big hugs! Sara Emily DT

Candy C said...

Joi...this is just awesome! I totally LOVE this piece! You've used so many creative techniques and a vast array of wonderful products you used. LOVE LOVE the fence with the rope around it and the colorful flowers. You are so creative, Joi and your paintings are always amazing!

Lynne Mizera said...

WOWZERS!! Your project gave me goosebumps... and your Tutorial??? Swoon! I love everything about this ... the wood grained background that shows through... the way you used your paints and sprays and the way you used your stencils!! Thank you for sharing this amazing piece of art with us over at STAMPlorations for the October Mixed Media Challenge... You Rocked this one!!

Pawsitively Creative said...

Ahhhhh! You always amaze me Joi! I loved seeing the progression of this stunning design and am with you on the harvest time. So many lovely layers of paints and techniques and the use of the stencils is freakin amazeballs! Next time I visit Texas I'm going to have to find he ranch and have a look at all of the wonders that you are surrounded with. This design is blessed and so beautifully done. Gorgeous!!! Hugz to you muffin! ~Niki

Pawsitively Creative said...

DT hat on-Thanks bunches for joining us at Anything But Cute for our "Autumn Day" challenge!

Karen said...

Love this!! You made an amazing mixed media piece!! Love all your layers and colors!! Thank you so much for playing with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!! (PS I just love using wood as my canvas too!)

Redanne said...

Whenever I visit your blog, my jaw drops and I am in total awe Joi! Your work is always incredible and this masterpiece is no exception. I love the colour of the fence, the flowers are gorgeous and the rope just seem to bring the whole piece together. Wow!!

Whilst I am here, thanks so much for joining in our 'An Autumn Day' challenge at Anything But Cute. Anne xx

Carol said...

Wow Joi, this is fabulous. Great use of colours and very novel stencilling. Thanks for sharing with the Mixed Media challenge at STAMPlorations this month. Carol DT x

Sue said...

This is really beautiful Joi, I've loved seeing how it all came together xx

Susanne Rose said...

Oh WOW!!! I have no words. This is such an amazing piece of art. Thanks for joining us in the STAMPlorations Mixed Media Challenge. Hugs, Susanne.

SewPaperPaint said...

A sentiment oh so true! This captures the perfect autumn day at the ranch and I can feel the warmth and gentle breeze. Love your gorgeous layering and choice of elements and colors on this piece, one of my favorites! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Stamps & Stencils and Anything But Cute. Hugs, Autumn

Win Dinn, Artist said...

What a fabulous painting, Joi - love all that rich warm colour and the feeling of being blessed! xo

Asmah Zainal Abidin said...

Joi, thank you so much for showing the step by step photos and explanation. I believe this is the best cyber art class I have ever attended! I always love how you draw the base and then start painting until completed. This is an amazing work of art. Glad you joined STAMPlorations October Mixed Media Challenge and can't wait to see your creations for this month's challenge :)
Hugs and smiles,
Asmah
STAMPlorations Mixed Media Design Team
Qinaahana Arts & Crafts {My Personal Blog}

experiments in paper said...

Gorgeous make, Joi!! I LOVE your colors. I grew up in New Mexico and so love those warm colors with the blues..... great step outs as well - bravo!! xxx Lynn

Jackie PN said...

What a lovely painting Joi! I just love your fence!!
Yes, Blessed not lucky! xoxo

toni said...

Amazing painting Joi! I love the transparent layers so that you can still see the texture of the wood. The stencilling works so well, I 'd love to see this in real life so that I could really enjoy the impact of the scale! Fantastic ! Thank you for joining us over at Stamps and Stencils. Toni x

Lisa said...

Oh my good gravy, this is absolutely stunning, Joi!! Wow!! I don't even know what to say!! I haven't been able to pick my jaw up off of the floor yet!! What a spectacular project this is!! The way you put this together is amazing!! The colors, the scene you've created, every single details is perfection!! I love, love this!! Wow!! Thank you for the amazing inspiration!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

sarascloset said...

I came back to say congratulations on being selected as one of the Top Picks at MMM. It's a TOP WINNER in my humble opinion! I started over this morning and got REALLY sidetracked! Apologies! Hugs!

Pamellia said...

Oh Joi, how I missed your beautiful artwork while I was away!! I apologize for taking so long to get here to visit, I'm still trying to catch up if you can believe that! whew! Well your painting is just a vision of loveliness, I could totally imagine myself walking up the path and listening to the wind blow the tall grasses in the field, coming up to the fence to lean on it and watch, what I believe would be beautiful horses on the other side. Oh what a wonderful day that would be!! Your paintings always tell such an amazing story and evoke sweet emotions and dreams! Well done my friend!!

The weather is still holding nicely here, I hope everything is perfect in your world! Today I am heading out on a search to see if I can find any of my missing squirrels. It has been a hard summer for the wildlife around here and I worry about them all so very much! Sending big hugs out to you and yours! :)

Tracy Welham said...

Oh my goodness thsi is fantastic! Creative Blessings, Tracy x

Redanne said...

Hi Joi, I have just come over to congratulate you on being a Design Team Favourite in our 'An Autumn Day' challenge at Anything But Cute with this beautiful project! I hope you pop over and pick up your badge. Hugs, Anne DT xx

Win Dinn, Artist said...

How lovely, Joi - those sunny flowers just make it! xo