Saturday, November 19, 2016

Anything But Cute Challenge Blog, Featured Artist Post RUSTIC GLAM

Howdy from Joi@RR.  

Today is a particularly happy day for me because I am the Featured Artist here on the Anything But Cute Challenge Blog.  

 Sure hope you can go see the post - including a photo of me!

This month the Anything But Cute Challenge is RUSTIC GLAM.
There's still TIME to participate in this yummy challenge here.


At our ranch, rustic is undeniable! But glam? Well... a yellow flower on a cactus is glam!  A new baby calf is glam!  A deer resting in the pasture is glam! Heheheh - it's likely my definition of glam is much different than Niki, the hostess, had in mind for this challenge! However... if you have seen my artwork, you know that I love a bit of glitter, glitz and pizzazz . . . so, without any further ado . . . welcome to my RUSTIC GLAM creation.  




I began with a 12" x 30" rustic piece of barn wood. 



Using a stencil for the lettering; I drew in the design by hand. 



And began painting in all my little designs with DecoArt Media Black Gesso. My liner brush by Dynasty sure helped! 



Here is the RUSTIC part before the GLAM arrived on the scene.  Oh, my stars . . . those trees are crooked.  Ok, Joi - just don't think about that . . . perfection not needed . . . proceed forth to the finish!


I had drawn in a double layer of mountains and thought it would be fun to use some type of texture there - maybe even a stamped texture. I had been humming the song Silent Night and decided the project needed some music - right?! 


I found lovely music in the Victorian Romance Deco-Page paper set by DecoArt Americana.  I tore the notes and placed them using DecoArt Media Matte Medium. After they were dry, I went back around the edges with some Titan Buff Fluid Acrylic to make it look a bit more unified with the line of the mountain ridge.



The open tree needed a bit of glam, too. I stamped one of the Susan K Weckesser Unity Journal Doodles inside.



Remember, a deer resting in the pasture is glam. How could I not include one??! Out came an old stencil that has no name any more and an ARTplorations Christmas Reindeer too. 


To bring my deer to life . . . . here is a fun concoction of DecoArt Media Texture Sand Paste and Carbon Black Fluid Acrylic paint - YUMMY! 



For a bit more shimmer, I used DecoArt Metallic Lustre on the trees and across parts of the background. It's very hard to see in this picture, but it definitely added some glitz to the rustic wood!  


For transforming my tipsy trees... I chose DecoArt's Snow Writer.  It's so amazing to play with this snowy wonder.


The moon just seemed to need a bit more glam so cheese cloth mesh was added with matte medium.



Seldom can I do mixed media without adding a bit of crackle! I loved the DecoArt Media Crackle paste on the triangle trees and snow!!


Last but not least... the wild splish-splash of DecoArt Glamour Dust - black ice & ice crystal - from top to bottom!




Here are the products used for this rustic winter wonderland glam.




And a few close-ups!
Wish you could see it in person - it shimmers!












Wishing each of you a calm and bright Thanksgiving and Christmas season . . . with hugs. j.

===============================
Also excited to share with: 

The vintage barn wood has cracks - of course!
Plus I added crackle to the triangle trees and the snow!

================================
=========================
=====================
===============
========

20 comments:

Pamellia said...

This may be one of my favourite Joi works of art EVER!! Oh how I love scene you have created! I want to shrink down and take a stroll through this magical wintery forest full of wildlife and glittery snow! Just think of the photos I could get! lol. Thank you so much Joi for being our Feature Artist at Anything But Cute, and thank you for all the hard work you put into the step by step images and the amazing project! I truly love your work my friend. Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

SewPaperPaint said...

I just have to chuckle that your win led you to creating in a rustic theme, so far from your comfort zone. Isn't that the way it goes?! I've been in the same position, but it is so good to stretch those creative muscles!!! You sure did and sure came out all the stronger with an amazing holiday plaque to boot! Woo hoo!!! You really did a wonderful job! I just adore your rustic glam take and amazing inspiration. Biggest congrats sweetie!!! Hugs, Autumn

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness, Joi, this is absolutely amazing!! Wow!! I don't even know what to say!! It took me forever to comment because I've been studying the pictures...thank you for the tutorial!! This is spectacular!! I love every single detail!! What a perfect rustic glam project this is!! Have a great day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Lizzy Hill said...

WHOA! That is divine amazing gorgeous and rustically glamourously amazagobs all rolled into one. I'd LOVE to see it IRL [no chance of that!!]..... Do you think I like this just a little??!!!!

Vintagehandmade said...

Oh my, Joi, you really nailed our challenge theme! What a spectacular rustic glam piece of art you have created! I am totally blown away by your magical and dreamy wintery scene! Thank you so much, Joi, for sharing your stunning creation and a wonderful step by step with us at Anything But Cute! You are awesome! Big hugs! Branka xx

sarascloset said...

Joi, this is truly one of my favorite pieces of yours, but I say that about pretty much everything you do! But the sense of peace and silence I get with this is overwhelming. I can almost hear the soft boughs rustling in the wind and the crackle of twigs as the deer tip toe through the forest. Oh, dear me...I digress.. You have certainly nailed the rustic/glam theme with this shimmery wall hanging, and your effects are totally amazing! I really appreciate your lovely tutorial and all the process shots. I know how much work that is! thank you so much for being our Feature Artist at Anything But Cute and congratulations on your win. I think you are a winner all the time! Sending big hugs to you!

sarascloset said...

I also meant to let you know this would be perfect for Deep Ocean Challenge Inspired by a Song and Emerald Creek Dares Festivities. Links follow http://deepoceanchallengeblog.blogspot.com/2016/11/challenge-142-inspired-by-song-or-movie.html
http://blog.emeraldcreek.org/2016/11/heartfelt-freedom-festivities-pt-2.html

Pawsitively Creative said...

Well I'll be! This makes me happier than a pig in a mudpit dearie! You totally nailed the rustic glam but and made it a Joi original. The board that you used for the background is perfect and then you go and add all of those hand drawn details for this gorgeous landscape picture! Swoon goes my heart! As I clicked on the pics and saw the stunning details up close my jaw dropped opened and I drooled a bit. I would totally hand this up in my house! Absolutely breathtaking. I bet this is something that you actually see on the ranch. Wowzers, awesome sauce and amazeballs! Hugz to you muffin and thank you so very much for being our talented and sweet Featured Artist! ~Niki

Annie said...

Joi this is fabulous xx a totally fabulous home decor piece to treasure. The details are fantastic. Great to have you on board this month at AVJ for Alison's Crackin Up challenge

Best wishes Annie xx

Redanne said...

You certainly did achieve rustic glam Joi, this is a real triumph, if ever there was one! I love the little moonlit scene you created, those gorgeous snow covered trees just seem to shimmer in the moonlight, the music paper is such a lovely addition and the deer are so beautiful! Love this gorgeous creation and it is wonderful to have you as Feature Artist at Anything But Cute!

Whilst I am here, can I also thank you for joining in our 'Cracking Up' challenge at A Vintage Journey too. Hugs, Anne xx

Jackie PN said...

Joi, what a lovely piece!! Your varied textures work so well together and the monochromatic scheme is sure beautiful!
Bravo! xoxo

Tracy Welham said...

A really fantastic festive piece and very rustic. Creative Blessings, Tracy x

www.deeadamsart.blogspot.co.uk said...

I love this very unusual and very beautiful. I also wanted to say thank you for your lovely comments that you post on my blog they are very inspirational and I really value them. x

Julia Aston said...

What a wonderful scene on the barnwood - a lovely hanging for the season - great crackle on the trees - thanks for joining us in the AVJ crackle challenge! Julia xx

Karen Petitt said...

Dear Joi, please come to the UK to teach me pretty please?! This is stunning huni, I love the crackle on the trees, the texture on your deers, or they could be buffalo with that technique, it's fabulous and beautiful and every thing that is so special and lovely about Christmas is on your plaque. I'm going to sit here a while to look at it lovingly, as I really do love it! xx

S@ndy Diller said...

Really like the way you added the music. The entire project is delightful. I makes me happy to look at it. Thanks for joining us here at A Vintage Journey.

jobfinaly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nikki K said...

Love this Joi, all the textures and glitters going on, yet it's so subtle as well. xx

Words and Pictures said...

I just love your rustic glam woodland scene, Joi - right from the barn wood substrate all the way to that fabulous shimmering crackled snow. Love the combination of the geometric and natural tree shapes too, and the monochrome colour shades are really effective. Thanks for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
Alison x

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Love your sign, and that crackle texture tree is stunning! xo