Sunday, September 4, 2016

"Enter In Peace" Shabby Fall Garden


WELCOME Sweet Friends to my Rustic Shabby Fall Garden!

After you stroll through the flowers and linger on the bench out back... please feel free to come in my back door and chat...

ENTER IN PEACE.
When I was young, my Grammie has 20 acres of nothing but her flowers, veggies and grapes.  How she loved them!  I was her helper when I stayed with her.  Afterwards, we went in the back door for a long rest and a Pepsi (her favorite drink).  To me, her back door was much prettier than her front door and she always welcomed anyone who entered.

I began by just sketching out my plan on an 8x10 canvas board. 



 I erased the stones in the center and began painting in some colors. 


The bricks were done first with DecoArt Media Modeling Paste. 


Then I began adding DecoArt Media Texture Sand Paste for the stucco look of the walls. 



Using a DecoArt Andy Skinner Tread Carefully stencil, the stepping stones were made with DecoArt Media Crackle Paste. 


First phase finished!


Definitely needed some DecoArt American Weathered Wood on my little fence rails!  I always had a white fence in my mind but for the weathered wood you start with an undercoat of paint!


Here you see some of the crackle coming through after adding DecoArt Media Antiquing Cream to both the fence rails and the stepping stones. 


Painting the brick with DecoArt Media fluid acrylics was rather fun.  Here you see the beginning of the painting but as the projects progressed I played with the brick over and over! 


Phase two complete! 


I recently purchased some Dynasty liner brushes. They are just amazing.  Look at the tiny lines I was able to make on this lamp. 


From the beginning, I knew I wanted to do the door and windows entirely with DecoArt Metallic Lustre paints.  Oh such a joy to use - they spread just like butter.  The first coat on the door was done with Copper Kettle but I just kept adding one color after another of Metallic Lustre until they looked like I had envisioned. 


I wanted to bring some of my garden clippings in and make a garland for over the door! Using the DecoArt American Feathered Friends stencil I began adding the garden clippings!!!!  

I added five layers of boughs on each side. 



While waiting for my boughs to dry, the Americana Jacobean Floral stencil worked perfectly for a bit of shabby chic decor on the door. I just scratched out the design with my punch.



Using my wonderful Dynasty liner brush again... I painted in the leaves with DecoArt Media Green Interference. 


I added some motif on the windows too - just by hand.
Oh - and the planters are just free-hand with modeling paste!

Phase three complete!!


From this point on, I just began painting free hand the flower garden!  So relaxing and fun creating flowers!!! 

The "Enter In Peace" sign is a piece of bark from the ranch! Again, the Dynasty brush made it possible for me to just paint the words on free-hand.  Truly amazing to me - wow! 

Here are pictures of my completed mixed media Shabby Garden. 














Hubby made me a lovely cedar board stand to accent my garden! 

Truly wish you were at my backdoor right now!

Have a peaceful day. 

Hugs. j. 
Products Used: 


DecoArt Media Mediums:
Gesso, Modeling Paste, Texture Sand Paste, Crackle Paste

DecoArt Media Paints:
Hansa Yellow Light, Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide, Transparent Red Iron Oxide, Sap Green, YellowGreen Light, Green Gold, Carbon Black, Quinacridone Gold, Quinacridone Violet, Vermillion, Cadmium Red Hue, Phthalo Green 

DecoArt Media Antiquing Cream:
Carbon Black, Patine Green, Titanium White

DecoArt Media Green Interference

DecoArt Media Andy Skinner Tread Carefully stencil. 
Americana Feathered Friends stencil
American Jacobean Floral stencil
DecoArt DecoMagic Brush & Stencil Cleaner

Dynasty Paint Brushes

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Excited to share my creativity with:

The Anything But Cute mood board inspired me by the peely paint, the doors, the windows, and the lovely flowers.  I'm not much of a romantic, so didn't go with that aspect but did add the following:
Peely white fence
Peely stucco showing brick beneath
Crackled Stepping Stones
Vintage looking, shabby door and windows
Planters in the windows
Shabby motif on the door
Lantern light (could be romantic!!!)
and lots of flowers :)
Thanks bunches! j. 

+++++++++++++++++

Mixed Media Monthly 
Challenge #28 - Rustic
How fun! I love rustic - of course, living on a ranch!
My little shabby garden seems very rustic too. 
Thanks for the opportunity to play along. j. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Stamps and Stencils
September Challenge: The Colour of Autumn

Take a walk thru my fall garden and then open my autumn colored door and chat awhile! Loved including stamps and stencils in my creativity.  Thanks bunches for the fun of being part of your challenge. Xj.

++++++++++++++++++++++
Stamplorations Artplorations
September Mixed Media Challenge

Mixed media fun with the help of several stencils!!! 
Thanks so much for this Mixed Media Challenge. Xj.

============================
======================
=================
===========
======

15 comments:

SewPaperPaint said...

Now I DO WISH I was at your back door right now! Well, maybe in the morning because I'm dreadfully sleepy... LOL! But you get my point, how fun and awesome would it be to visit your ranch and play in paints together!!! This is truly an amazing multilayered piece and the cedar backing is just amazing. We truly appreciate you sharing with us at Anything But Cute. Hugs, Autumn

sarascloset said...

Oh, my goodness, Joi! This is such a wonderful canvas! Not only is it a delightful scene, but the story behind it just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! How lovely to portray those memories of your Grammmie's back door like this! Your vintage garden flowers are beautiful against all those tremendously real looking hardscape elements like the brick wall, doorway, garden path, and crackling fence. I feel a sense peace already! Thank you for taking us through your steps and sharing this lovely work of art in our Shabby Garden Mood Board challenge at Anything But Cute. Sending hugs your way! Sara Emily

Astrid Maclean said...

What an amazing multi layered piece, - I would just love to walk right in through that door! Beautifully put together and great step out photos! Wonderful project!!

I also wanted to say sorry for the lack of visits lately, but as you may know I have been away from home for two month. But now I am back I look forward to more regular visits again. xxx

Brenda Brown said...

I love seeing your art come together and this is an utterly delightful piece and how wonderful it was inspired by memories of being with your grandma. Wish I could really walk in through your back door and have a chat xxx

Redanne said...

You have made me wish I could walk up to the door, open it and go inside - I love your beautifully designed canvas, your drawing is superb and the colours and textures you achieved just draw the eye in. I really, really love the bricks on the wall and those stones in the path - for me it is always the little things - Love this... a lot!! Hugs, Anne xx

Whilst I am here I would like to say thank you for joining in our Shabby Garden challenge at Anything But Cute. xx

Words and Pictures said...

So many amazing textures and techniques - I love the weathered brick work and that stunning stone path. The whole look is so warm and welcoming - a piece full of love and happy memories, which you can feel as you look at it. A treat!
Alison x

Pawsitively Creative said...

Well I am honored to enter this back door and feel peace upon entering. Wowzers design! I absolutely adore that little lamp and how you added the tiny little design lines. Stunningly awesome sauce dearie! Your use of those paints are amazeballs, I am always super stoked to see your process and this beautiful display is gorgeous. So fun and such a wonderful memory to share with us. Your door is a show stopper! Come on in, yeppers!

Thanks for joining us at Anything about Cute as well. Your shabby inspired design is fantabulous! Hugz to you muffin! ~Niki

Jutta K. Germany said...

Das ist so traumhaft schön!
Wunderbare Gestaltung in herrlichen Farben.
Ich bin sehr beeindruckt von deinem Können!
♥liche Grüße aus Deutschland

Asmah Zainal Abidin said...

I need to be at your back door right now because my back door is wet and damp and slippery you see...we are having rainy days time to time...so I am indoor time to time and gets no sun to cheer up my garden. I bet your back door is amazing just like your magnificent canvas work! I find that is so inspiring as I seldom have the guts to paint directly on canvas. Thank you for sharing the step by step photos, lots of lovely effort from you that I truly appreciate. Glad you joined STAMPlorations September Mixed Media Challenge and see you next time Joi.
Hugs and smiles,
Asmah
STAMPlorations Mixed Media Design Team
Qinaahana Arts & Crafts {My Personal Blog}

Donna B. said...

What beautiful and original rustic canvas! Thanks for playing at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

Lisa - papergrace said...

I'm imagining myself sitting in the pathway right by that gorgeous door and sniffing the beautiful flowers. The amazing brick showing through the peeling paint? *swoon* Absolutely stunning! Thank you for playing along with us this month at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge. xo

Lynne Mizera said...

Wonderful project and great tutorial! Thank you for sharing your amazing creation with us at STAMPLorations for the September ARTplorations Mixed Media Challenge.

Sanna said...

beautiful project! Thanks for playing along with us at STAMPlorations Mixed Media Challenge this month!!! :)

Susanne Rose said...

Very very pretty! You are so talented. Love it! Thank you for joining us over at the STAMPlorations challenge. Hugs, Susanne.

Carol said...

Love this canvas, what a wonderful way to preserve a special memory. Thanks for sharing at STAMPlorations Mixed Media challenge this month. Carol DT x